Optimizing your copy is super nerdy, but I like it.
I like it like it.
Justin and copy, sittin’ in a tree
I’m Justin Blackman (aka The Headline Project guy).
Probably the best copywriter on this website.
I’ve been finding messages that resonate for 20 years. I helped Puma, Red Bull & 5-hour ENERGY evolve their sampling programs, created top-performing content for IHG Rewards Club, and I’ve spent time on major agency brand campaigns to help little guys land big fish. Storytelling, brand voice guides, taglines, TPS report cover sheets… Writing is something I’ve always done well.
But it wasn’t until 3 former colleagues sought me out separately that I began to help small businesses.
And that’s what I do now. I help people like you find their voice. We’ll hone your words until we get ‘em right and we’ll make your copy sing. Hello from the money siiiiiiiiiiiide.
My biggest rule is that you be passionate. If you’ve got fire, that’s all the fuel I need.
Some of my experience includes:
- Writing super awesome landing pages & ridiculously successful emails
- Ghostbusting writing webinar funnels in 239 different client voices
- Creating voice guides for small & medium-sized businesses
- Inventing taglines for major brands and social communities
- De-robotizing websites for jargony B2B corporations
- Punching up pitch decks (Kapow!)
- Patching leaks in drip campaigns
- Beating David Scott Brecher at thumb wrestling
- Writing 10,211 headlines for 100 brands in 100 days
- Blasting out top-producing blog posts
Need something not on the list? Go Ahead And Ask. I’ve done a lot more. But I don’t like to brag about it.
Hit Me Up Here to talk about your project.
Oh, and let me know how many of the 15 pop-culture references on the site you caught…
…Get em’ all and I’ll mail you a high-5.
About the name “Pretty Fly”
Shel Silverstein has been my favorite author since I was 3. Mad props to Dr. Seuss, Maurice Sendak & Roald Dahl, but Shel was my guy.
I’ve got 4 of his drawings tattooed on me & a 5th from Willy Wonka.
In A Light In The Attic, there’s a poem called A Hippo’s Hope. It’s about a hippo who sews a pair of wings, climbs a mountain and stands at the edge. From there, it turns all choose-your-own-adventure on you.
You can fly, fall, or walk away.
This always resonated with me. Fly, fall or walk away sums up the possibilities for nearly everything you face. And I named my first business “Time To Fly.”
I fell. But that’s OK.
This time around I’m helping people make good lookin’ sentences—and Pretty Fly sounded better than Sexy Hippo. But only just. So here we are.
If you’re wondering about the other tattoos:
- Right shoulder: True Story
- Left shoulder: A Hippo’s Hope
- Right ribs: Moon Catchin’ Net & The Giving Tree (ay chiwawa, ribs hurt!)
- Left arm: “We are the dreamers of dreams”
- Left forearm: Interrobang
The dream line is the first movie quote my daughter ever said to me—right after I told her how the snozzberries tasted. Next up will be something for my boy. He’s a strange one, named after P.T. Barnum, so lord only knows what I’ll wind up with. Hopefully nothing with clowns.
They’re all silly. They’re all wonderful. And they all make me smile.
Now…Shall we fly?